Colouring mandalas is a fun & relaxing way to spend an afternoon (or morning) & it doesn’t matter if you are a child, a grandparent or any age in between. You can buy colouring books, or find designs on the net…..or you can draw your own – it’s pretty easy & lots of fun…
Supplies needed: Paper (square is good, but you could just draw a square on regular paper), lead pencil, compass, ruler, eraser, black pen (I use a really fine (0.1) pigment liner), colour pencils
- First you need to draw you guidelines – draw a line (in pencil) from corner to corner, making an ‘X’. Find the middle of your page top, bottom & sides & draw a line from top to bottom, then across the page, making a cross (make sure to go through the centre of the X).
- Open your compass to half the width you want your finished mandala to be, place the point in the middle (where the lines meet) & draw your circle.
- Start drawing! Begin in the centre & work outwards, until the tips of the last layer are touching the circle.
- Once you are happy with the design, go over the outline with the black liner – you need to decide whether or not you want the circle to be part of you design, if you do, mark that in black too.
- Give the pen a minute to dry (just in case), then gently erase the guidelines & anything else you don’t want.
- Now for the fun bit – start colouring! You can use any colour combo you like, as you can see, I’m rather partial to rainbow colours…
The method above will give you a four or eight point (in each layer) mandala – if you would like a six or twelve pointed one instead, here’s what to do:
Draw a circle on your page & without closing the compass, mark a spot on the edge. Put the point of the compass on the mark & mark wherever the compass reaches – repeat until you have six evenly space marks. If you want twelve, close the compass half way & draw in between the marks you already have. Join the opposite points & proceed as usual.
As you can see, the possibilities are endless (most of the mandalas below are eight point, the one in the top right corner is a twelve point). If you’d like to colour your mandala more than once, just scan or photocopy it first. It would be lots of fun to give a group of people the same mandala outline & see what they come up with.